Sunday, November 2, 2008

Task 22: More to life with Second Life

I have been to a session describing the use of SL by Rick Strelan and Helen Farley who won a $30 000 Strategic Teaching and Learning Grant to develop a presence for UQ Studies in Religion in the virtual world of Second Life.
They purchased an island to construct a variety of religious spaces. This would allow students to explore and understand other religions. Helen has a blog http://www.ruperturiza.blogspot.com/

It all looked interesting in the session and I could see that it would be useful for such a subject. However, I do agree with pollyblogger that it doesn't take much to visit some of these in the real world and actually speak to someone. And yes, I know that a real visit to some is not possible - hence the usefullness of the island.

My biggest complaint - I couldn't think a of first name to even create a login - how sad is that. Anything I thought of wasn't useful.

Personally I don't think I would really use SL without a compelling reason to be there.

No comments: